Friday, October 3, 2008

"Shout Out" to North Carolina

I hadn't had this thought myself until I read it over at The Arena. James Pinkerton says:

Palin is no Dan Quayle. But Biden may have won North Carolina for his ticket with that generous comment about Jesse Helms.


Here is the quote he was referring to (transcript via NYT):

I have been able to work across the aisle on some of the most controversial issues and change my party's mind, as well as Republicans', because I learned a lesson from Mike Mansfield.

Mike Mansfield, a former leader of the Senate, said to me one day -- he -- I made a criticism of Jesse Helms. He said, "What would you do if I told you Jesse Helms and Dot Helms had adopted a child who had braces and was in real need?" I said, "I'd feel like a jerk."

He said, "Joe, understand one thing. Everyone's sent here for a reason, because there's something in them that their folks like. Don't question their motive."


It probably hadn't occurred to me because it still hasn't sunk in that we have a legitimate shot at North Carolina this year. Still I hadn't heard anyone else mention this. Very insightful.

Was it intentional or just a bonus that Biden did that?

C'mon! We're talking David Axelrod! Of course it was intentional! Or, at least, he'll definitely say it was!

Comments welcome,

Pat McGovern

It's got electoral votes. It's what politicians crave.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus